Thursday, September 18, 2008

Political Story

It was a cold November morning. Many people were still asleep, but I was awake. I could not wait for the opening of the polls to vote. I was sure that my vote would matter in this election, but one of my close friends told me that his vote did not matter. No matter how hard I tried to convince that it did, he just did not believe that his vote would matter. I was determined to vote and prove him wrong. I heard some sounds outside. When I looked it was the metropolitan bus and there were people on it. I went outside to see why the bus had stopped in my neighborhood. The driver told me that he was heading to the polls. I was confused until I realized that he meant the voting polls. He asked if I was going to come. I got on the bus and took a seat and we were on our way. Along the way we passed many houses and buildings and saw stray dogs and cats run away from the bus as we moved onwards. We finally saw the police department, which was where the voting polls were held. When the bus finally arrived I saw that there was no real line, that everyone was kind of crowded around the entrance of the fire department I got to the front to see if something had happened just to discover that the door was still locked and the polls were not meant to open for another five minutes. I asked the person next to me “Why is there no line?” She replied “The poll master will choose someone to cast the first vote and everyone will get to go after that.” The time finally came and the poll master came out and looked at us. “You” she said, indicating that I would get the first vote. Everyone was silent as I made my way up to the station. I went in without a word and punched out my choices without a second thought. When I exited everyone cheered and then they proceeded to the stations to cast their ballots. I went to work after that feeling very happy that I had voted. When I finally got home I was exhausted. I turned on the television just to see how the election was going. I was shocked to learn that neither candidate had reached the 270 mark needed to win, and that the vote was going to congress to decide who won the race. They explained that late in the race, McCain won California by one district because the one that would have tied up the election was tied, and was split between the two candidates. When I thought back about my vote, I realized that I had not punched the Chad on my ticket all the way out, and I wondered if my vote had caused all this because I hurried and did not check my ticket before I placed it in. As I was worrying, a special bulletin popped up. It said that there had been a miscount. That one ticket had been misplaced, and that the vote actually had Obama ahead by one, which meant that it was a tie for California, and that pushed Obama over the 270 mark. Though I never could convince my friend that it was my ticket that helped Obama win the election, I knew that it did and that is all that mattered.

No comments: